Essential Music Producer Equipment - MIDI Controller
So you have a lot of ideas in your head, and a ticking nag that makes you want to put those ideas onto your computer. What MIDI Controller is best for you?
Having a 88-Key Keyboard is great for practicing pianists, however making beats does not require this type of equipment.
Why Not? - Making music requires no more than 25 keys on a keyboard because overcomplicating a beat is easy if you get too carried away. Starting off small is a great way to master your craft.
What is a MIDI Controller?
A MIDI Controller, is a piece of equipment that sends the notes you play on the machine, to your computer in a way which can be edited further. A good MIDI Controller will be able to increase your workflow and not stand in your way creatively.
MIDI Controllers can be accessed for cheap due to the nature of what they do. A basic keyboard MIDI Controller can be obtained for around £30/$40, however you do get what you pay for.
Investing more can get you a beat pad, Q-Link Knobs(to adjust volumes) and a keyboard all in one as long as more features.
Below are the features, Amazon Star reviews of the MDI Controller's and a link to find out more on these products.
Be sure to check out youtube reviews and read reviews on these products to see what is best for you.
AKAI Professional MPK Mini MKII
- 25 velocity-sensitive synth-action keys with dedicated octave up and down buttons to increase the keyboard to the full melodic range
- Innovative four-way thumb stick for dynamic pitch and modulation control, plus a built-in arpeggiator with adjustable resolution, range and modes
- USB powered, robust and ultra-compact design lets you create anywhere
- Eight backlit velocity-sensitive MPC-style pads with note repeat and full level for programming drums, triggering samples and controlling virtual instrument/DAW controls
- Eight fully-assignable q-link knobs for mixing, tweaking plug-ins and more
- Usb midi keyboard - thin, lightweight, and usb-powered
- Velocity-sensitive natural-touch mini-keyboard with excellent playing feel
- Versatile controls include arpeggiator buttons, sustain/tap button, and joystick
- Great for use with ipad, can be powered from ipad
- A generous assortment of licenses and discount coupons for popular software titles is included
Korg NANOKEY2-BK 25 Key
- Low-profile, 25-key usb-midi keyboard
- Advanced-design keybed offers improved accuracy and velocity-sensitive keys.
- Usb powered
- Comprehensive free software bundle included via download
- Compatible with ipad via camera
M-Audio Oxygen 25 IV
- Compact, ultra-portable performance keyboard controller with 25 full-size, synth-action velocity-sensitive keys and on-board pitch bend and modulation wheels
- Eight velocity-sensitive trigger pads for beat production and clip launching, and eight assignable knobs for manipulating virtual instruments, DAW parameters and plugins
- On-board LCD screen provides instant parameter feedback
- Dedicated octave up and down buttons increase the keyboard to the full melodic range and transport buttons
- Innovative direct link automatically maps controls to popular DAWs including able ton live, pro tools, logic, Cubase and more
- Class compliant, plug-and-play functionality and USB powered specification for simple user-friendly setup;
- Velocity sensitive keys for expressive, musical performance
- USB MIDI and traditional MIDI for use with Mac and PC, as well as MIDI hardware
- Pitch and Modulation wheels for capturing musical expression, Backlit Octave Up and Down buttons expand your range
- Assignable volume/data-entry slider enables you to control your most-used parameter, Sustain pedal input for complete performance (pedal sold separately)
- Bus powered via USB, so you won't need a power cable